Monday, October 8, 2012

My Apartment Journey

I started my journey on September 18th, 2010 by couch surfing with various friends in UES and Washington Heights for about two months. I landed in Harlem, with a teeny-tiny room in a 3-bedroom apartment with two girls I found on Facebook Marketplace. My room was only barely big enough for a full sized bed. Needless to say, that didn't work out so well --a mix between the lack of greenery and the overwhelming claustrophobia my room induced.

Roughly 11 months later, after countless weekend excursions to "the greener side," I moved into a 3-bedroom brownstone apartment with non-strangers in the Bed-Stuy neighborhood of Brooklyn. To say I was overjoyed would be an understatement. Granted, I wasn't off the best train line in Bed-Stuy (A/C) or surrounded by the parks and food that neighborhoods like Clinton Hill or Fort Greene offered. But, my rent was 60% cheaper, my room had doubled in size, and I had always wanted to live in a brownstone!

However, living with other people took a toll on me and caused the claustrophobic feeling to return (in a different sense) + their lack of enthusiasm for the place dampened the overall experience. So, again...this didn't work out and I found myself in need of housing yet again.

One year later, on August 15th, 2012, I made the second biggest transition in my life...moving into my very own apartment!

I'd decided long before the conversation occurred, with my then roommates, that I'd be looking to live on my own. For those that live in New York, you understand how big of an undertaking this is. Considering I don't spend my days sitting in a glass enclosed office making six figures (and neither do any of my relatives), the hunt for a quality place with my long list of particulars was indeed a hunt.

Fast forward, fate brought me upon an amazing broker, awesome landlords and the most adorable brownstone 1-bedroom unit only two train stops from my last place! I was able to retain all of the things that I loved about my old place, while gaining more than double the space.

Which only means one thing...tons of decorating!

No comments:

Post a Comment