Sunday, November 11, 2012

The Double Edged Sword of Affordability

I say it over and over again...I love all things affordable! If I can sensibly cut corners on something, without forsaking quality, I'm all for it. But, on the other end, I am not against spending money on certain things that I deem worthy. Obviously, there are varying opinions on what is worth a high price tag versus what is not...so we won't get into that.

What brings about this post is the recent commercial I saw advertising Margiela for H&M.

 "Is that jacket Margiela?" I doubt Kanye thought everyone was going to now be able to respond and say, "Yes, from H&M!"

After seeing this, I could only think...in a few years what will be the purpose in investing in designer?This could be completely ignorant on my behalf, so feel free to express your opinions. But, if designers I once considered investing in like Derek Lam, Margiela, Versace, Diane von Furstenberg, Marc Jacobs, Tory Burch, etc. are now making themselves available to the masses. I'm left thinking what's the point? 

In a very childish sense, people like to be able to draw that line between the have and the have nots. One of the things that has helped to make the distinction between social classes possible has been the creation of brand names. Brand names help to define people's sense of self and showcase to the world where they fit within society. 

There are certain brands and products that people aspire to own. In a odd sense, it's a sign of having made it and to be viewed as having a certain social class. For me, that's the day I can afford a pair of Christian Louboutins and the Chanel classic handbag. Not to say either of these brands will ever be available at Target or H&M, but what if they were? It just minimizes a brand once viewed as aspirational to just another amongst a sea of shoes and handbags.

Some people can't wait to say the own something by Diane von Furstenberg (for example), no matter how minimal it may be...and now, even though what she has with Target is just a Yoga Mat, it's now made it possible for just anyone to finally own something by her. So, now when you're wearing one of these brands it's not viewed as highly...it's like, "oh, is that DVF?"... "I just bought a yoga mat by her the other day at Target."

Who wants that? I don't.



No comments:

Post a Comment